Menu
Login

Member Logon

Login


2016 California Preservation Design Award

RICHFIELD OIL...A LONG HISTORY

Lifting the Richfield sign into place.

Clarence Hornung sketching logos for Richfield Oil Company in his 47th Street Manhattan studio.



















Richfield Gas Pump early 1900s














Richfield Gas Pump

Cucamonga Service Station


The Cucamonga Service Station, is the last station reminiscent of the roadside architecture of the 1920’s, 30’s and 40’s, some of which still exists today in Rancho Cucamonga.

It was built by Henry Klusman, a recognized local citizen, during the early years of Cucamonga. The Hugh Larson Ford Repair building stood in place of the station in 1914, but eventually the large wooden structure was moved to the rear of the lot. From 1915 to 1927 William Harvey was the first station owner, then Ancil Morris, a Richfield Oil Distributor, was the next owner from 1925 to 1944. Arvid “Chief” Lewis was the station’s owner from 1945 to 1971, and was Cucamonga’s first full time Fire Chief. Other owners have been the Delores Morris Trust (1972), Nadine Eshelman (1986), The Forest Home Ministries Inc. (2005), and TLC Properties-Lamar Advertising (2005). 

The current owner and property restorer is the Route 66 Inland Empire California (IECA) non-profit organization.
Since being designated a historical site in 2009, by the city of Rancho Cucamonga, Route 66 IECA has been restoring the Service Station to what it looked like in 1915. It is a community effort with many volunteers helping in many ways, helping to restore this iconic piece of Cucamonga history.
Luana Hernandez (2015)

The Mother Road

For nearly six decades, a two-lane road, running 2,448 miles, connected Chicago to Los Angeles. It was the path to Western promise for "Okies" escaping the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, the road under the soles of American nomads like Jack Kerouac. Route 66 was once considered an essential artery, its travelers a measure of America's pulse. But by the mid-1980s, the road was deemed obsolete. Twenty-five years ago on June 27, Route 66 was decommissioned. But even as the no-tell motels and mom-and-pop shops along the road disappeared, the fables of America's "Mother Road" continued to ramble on. 
Read more

Virginia Dare Winery 1920s - on Route 66 







2016 Preservation Award

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software